Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Why Do I Run

I run because I can.

For many years, I convinced myself that I could no longer run outside. Due to my decreasing eyesight (I’m legally blind), I thought I couldn't run safely on my own. So outside of downhill skiing once or twice a season(very cautiously), I wasn't all that active.

In 2010, I was working on an incredibly stressful community organizing project that was constantly changing and moving very quickly. To help gain some mid-day clarity, I began to take short walks in Franklin Park, which is conveniently located across the street from the project I was working on. I organized my thoughts, made to-do lists, and enjoyed the quiet peacefulness of the park. One day, with no one else around, I decided to take a few running steps. Outside of feeling a little funny wearing full work attire (including dress shoes and big winter coat) I felt great. I didn't fall and stayed on the flat, level dirt path. I increased my running from there (wearing traditional running clothes!) and I was soon running four to five days a week.

I was hooked and possibly obsessed with running.

About five months later, I ran for over two hours at my in-laws (beautiful paths in Reston, VA) so I decided to sign up for a half-marathon. As they say in the movies, the rest is history. I've now run five marathons, three halfs, many 5ks, and am training for my first ultra.

Running has brought a lot of wonderful things into my life (I'm a more patient husband and father, I lost 50 lbs, I've met amazing athletes)-many of which I hope to write about in future posts. 

But for now, the most important thing for me is to know that there are many things I CAN do regardless of my eyesight.

Thanks for reading my first post and hope to see you out running.

Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment